Friday, July 04, 2008

July 4 - Independence Day

I have been dreading this day for about a week now. I don't know that "dreading" is the right word. The word I'm looking for is probably "anticipating." My dad died on July 4, 1996. Daddy had battled the effects of a brain stem stroke for over 16 years when he died, and although, his body was physically changed, his mind and heart remained the same. He was wise, loving, kind, grateful and loved the Lord.

Since daddy's death, each year, about the the last week of June, I begin to get an anxious feeling. This year was no different. I've always likened his dying on the 4th of July as God granting him independence and freedom from a body which he could not control. I believe that he is now walking again - this time on streets paved of gold. This will be the first death anniversary that he is spending with our mother. Mama took care of Daddy at home throughout his illness and that is truly a blessing.

And while I know to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, I always like to visit the cemetery on special days like today, not for my parents - but for me.

So. . .having just returned from the gravesite, I can now sit here and comfortably write that I know Daddy is truly free on this day.


Love,
Dot

1 comment:

Brooklyn said...

It is so interesting to me that Daddy went to be with the Lord on Independence Day. The "4th of July" with all of it's joyous celebratory festivities, most describes Daddy's attitude and personality. He had a ready smile and an infectious laugh. Even throughout his long illness with vast physical limitations, he never lost his ability to be full of joy and found happiness in God's gift of life and family. So, today, I celebrate a man, Daddy, who taught me how to love the gift of life and family.

Brooklyn