Friday, February 15, 2008

A Different Look At Job (Anonymously Submitted)

A different look at Job…



When God is kind enough to reveal to us, we should be grateful. We should know, however, all that he reveals is not pretty (or as we may wish) but it is always beneficial.



I have always thought about Job as the man the Lord allowed to be tormented by Satan. I have wondered if he did the same thing to me. Perhaps my words are harsh and my outlook has been skewed. In learning about myself and learning about how, in some ways, I was like Job, I was reminded:

· God can't agree with a lot of the "stuff" we do - he is righteous and we are not

· We, us, me, you break fellowship with God

· God never breaks fellowship with us, even though it may feel as if he has



I have long misunderstood the difference between covenants and contracts. God had covenants with various people in Biblical days and covenants are not meant to be broken- a covenant is a promise. Promises from God are never broken. We always want to promise something, but we are unable to keep our promise to HIM. He does not require of us a promise, we just go running out there to do it. He loves us unconditionally, but we don't get it. For example, God had a covenant with Abraham. Remember, he promised him a son. Even though Abraham could not keep his end of the bargain (waivered in faith), God kept his covenant and blessed Abraham in spite of what he did (baby's momma and baby). Now Abraham broke the covenant and as a result there were consequences for his sin.



Contracts on the other hand can be broken. Okay, so here is what I learned about Job. God had a covenant with Job. We don't really know the details, but the Lord blessed Job tremendously. He made promises to him and kept them. Job walked uprightly before the Lord, but Job's heart was not always right. Job thought the Lord did a raw deal to him, we all did. We all get there, don't we? I know I've felt that way often especially about a decision I (Me, myself) made because it did not work out. I've broken covenants and well, consequences have followed.



We learn, if we really read about Job that he was angry about those who he deemed unrighteous and their lack of punishment. Now if that does not sound like me, what does? I have lived in that space for many years. I watched a man receive countless blessings from the Lord and I deemed him unworthy because he did not even acknowledge the Lord or thank him for all the tremendous blessings I thought he did not deserve. Job and I have a lot in common. When every old covenant was broken, curses were released. Who am I do deem someone else unworthy of what God has for them?



Towards the end of the chapters in Job, we learn that he does repent. Yes for his disgust or judgment of those he (Job) deemed unrighteous. Hallelujah Yes, I have learned about my judgment of others. I never realized how deeply rooted it was. I never meant to be so judgmental. It has permeated many aspects of my life.



But God is merciful and he does forgive. Remember, Job received many blessings in the end. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

No comments: